The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Interview #2

Today I had an interview with the second place that contacted me for one. This one was not with the actual department with the opening, but with the county's HR department, with a panel of 3 people from other counties. It was a rather short interview (though since I arrive quite early, I know mine was the same length as that of the person before me). Kind of boom, boom, boom, ok, walk her out.

I feel like I did well, but it was hard to tell much. They are going to speak with about 30 people over 2 days, rank them, and send out letters inviting the top 6 to return for interviews with the department. There are 2 openings.

Now the tricky part. Job offer #1 was made contingent on a background check. Since that contingency has not been yet removed, that offer cannot really be accepted. Until that time, it is not a sure thing, and I will continue to pursue other opportunities. However, since I know my background check will come back clean, it is really a matter of timing (and I suppose living in California, hoping the budget doesn't suddenly get yanked!). This job would have me starting 1/26 or 2/9, as the start date must be on the first day of a pay period. If I don't know by tomorrow, that would give me until 2/9 to see if I can get another offer, to have 2 to pick from.

Both jobs have attractive points. I'm clearly hoping that a certain one works out over the other, but when you aren't working, won't any do? I'm completely confident that I would do well and please my bosses at either. I'm just anxious to start doing SOMETHING!

Anyway, so my boyfriend and I are going to Las Vegas this weekend. We had talked about going to see Penn and Teller months ago, and once we found out that we both passed the Bar Exam, we booked this trip to catch their show. I haven't been in quite a while, so really looking forward to it. We have traveled to a few places in California so far (Carmel/Monterey, San Mateo (does the Bar Exam count?), San Francisco), but never out of state and not by plane yet. Of course, when you're in love, it probably really doesn't matter where you go or what you do, as long as you're doing it together. :) Yeah, yeah, I know that was corny (but it's true!).

Something else cool that we are doing is volunteering at the Fresno County Mock Trial Competition. The Fresno County Bar Association was looking for help, so we're going to be scoring attorneys for a couple of nights in the upcoming weeks for this event in which 10 local high schools are participating. We already received the packets describing the facts of the case and details about how to score the students. After law school (Moot Court and Criminal Trial Practice especially), it will be nice to be on the opposite side and be the one giving the evaluations and comments. Hopefully I can find something encouraging and helpful to say to all the participants.

Oh, and one more thing, Clint got robbed!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home