The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!

I know this is a little early, but I'm going to busy later with my friends so figured I would post now. I suppose a lot of you are making New Year's resolutions, but I don't really see the point of that. If you want to be or do something different, why not just do it? Why wait until some random point in time? If something is important enough to you to make a change when you realize you want that change, it is more likely to actually stick and not be forgotten in less than a month, as most "resolutions" are.

I've accomplished so much in 2008, it is hard to know what I would resolve for 2009 even if I had to. I am now legally free of a very negative and harmful influence in my life. I took and passed the California Bar Exam on my first try. I'm completely happy and content in my personal life. There is the little matter of finding a job, but finding one is not a resolution. I will just do it. I already have one interview scheduled in a couple weeks, so I'm not really worried about that.

The Fresno Bee has a weekly page for kids called Scoopy Squad. Yesterday's edition asked kids "What are your goals for the new year?" Most answered with something whose results will be very difficult to determine, such as "be a better soccer player", "behave better on the school bus", or "be a better reader". Miriam in Kingsburg had the best response though- "I am going to help my mom make pancakes." Ok, Miriam, I'm cheering for you to make your goal this year. And everyone else- whether you make a resolution or have a goal for 2009, I'm cheering for you too. :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home