The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Friday, October 24, 2008

4 More Weeks

Now that we are less than a month away from the results of the California bar exam being posted online, it feels real and not so far off. I really need to think of something to keep myself busy for this last month of waiting.

My rant for the day: Why can't people spell? I don't get it. If I don't know how to spell something, I look it up. I can understand typing fast and not realizing that you misspelled something, but why would you just write something that could not possibly be correct without checking?

I was looking at home listings online (plan on buying something as soon as I pass the bar and get a job) and came across the following description of a house:

Spacious 5 bed, 4 BA, over 2,600 s.f. with huge greatroom, 2 bedrooms- (1)is used as office (1) is used as gameroom, no closets, amwas stay, Large breakfast area, Jack & Jill bath, oversized master w/2 closets, extra large 2 car garage.

I sat there, wondering what "amwas" was. It finally hit me that the person meant "armoires". Apparently the writer must have heard someone pronounce that word in the French way and decided a phonetic spelling was good enough (though, wouldn't that then be "ahmwah"?), or they were too embarrassed to ask. (But how embarrassing is it to publish that kind of error online?)

Then I was reading a forum and saw a post announcing, "Without further adooo......"

What is wrong with people? Are they that stupid, or do they just not care? Ugh. Drives me crazy! Don't even start me on the "there/their/they're" stuff.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're, their, Mary --- their just unaware of there problem. Now that you've put it out they're, their gonna shape up. Yule sea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home