The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Determination of Moral Character

In order to practice law in California, you must graduate from an accredited law school, pass the bar examination, and receive a positive "moral character" determination. This determination is made by conducting a background check on all applicants. Law students are advised that this process takes up to 180 days and to submit this huge application at the beginning of their final year.

I believe I sent mine in sometime in April. Today I received a letter from the Committee of Bar Examiners informing me that "the processing of your Application for Determination of Moral Character has been completed. The Committee of Bar Examiners is pleased to advise you that you have been found to possess the good moral character required for certification to practice law in California." : )

Because I underwent an extensive background check before working for the Department of Justice when I was at the U.S. Attorney's Office, I have to wonder if the CBE was able to access that information, as all my references were not contacted. Whatever the case, I'm glad to have the second of these three requirements now fulfilled.

Labels: