The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Roman Holiday

My daughter is in Rome with a group from MIT. Her Roman History professor is their tour guide. I'm so jealous! Here's a couple of my favorite photos from when I was there a few years ago. The first is of the Pantheon. Leading up to arriving at the site, you meander through these narrow Roman roads, which are lined with tall buildings. You kind of get this closed in feeling and suddenly, it just opens up to this huge square with the Pantheon sitting there. I remember my breath just being taken away! There are so many things in Rome to be impressed with, but this was at the top of my list. It's hard for me to explain how much I loved it, but I feel compelled to see it again someday.

Something else I loved almost equally as much was the typical Roman neighborhood portrayed by this photo. At first, I was kind of surprised by the amount of graffiti and general "dirt" of the city, but Rome just isn't the scrubbed clean kind of city. It didn't take long to fall in love with the real-ness and the beauty of it though. I suppose I crave both the spectacular as well as the normal everyday beauty that one finds there. Sigh.....

Labels: