The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

It's Official! I'm a Deputy District Attorney!

I haven't really wanted to comment much on my job hunt and interviews. Obviously, I needed to get a job and start making money, and when a person is looking in this kind of economy and options are limited, it is reasonable to expect that not every job being applied for is exactly what one would have wanted to be doing.

My ideal job would have been to become an Assistant United States Attorney (AUSA). However, since the USAO only hires graduates of ABA-accredited schools, that was not going to be an option for me. The next job on my list was that of a Deputy District Attorney (DDA). Prosecuting on the state level may not be as glamorous as working in that gorgeous federal courthouse, but it is still doing the work I want to do, and I was not really looking for a "glamorous" type of job.

Since the Fresno County DA office is not currently hiring, I applied at the DA offices in 3 neighboring counties. I also applied for a position as a Child Support Attorney here. I did receive an offer for that job, contingent on a background check being successfully completed. (In all fairness, had I started this job, I know I would have done a wonderful job there, and probably found it challenging while I learned the law in that area. Ultimately however, it was not where I saw myself being, and knew I would have continued trying to find a DDA position.) Unfortunately for them, but fortunately for me, in the time that check has been ongoing, I interviewed twice with with nearest county and received an offer from them this morning! I start on Monday. :)

I don't think there is any way I would have received this offer if it had not been for a couple of things: first, taking the Criminal Trial Practice class (taught by the USAO office chief) that gave me the confidence and skills I needed, as well as the courage to pursue it, and secondly, working the internship at the USAO for the last year of law school. I truthfully told the panel during my interviews that they should hire me because I was the best bargain out there- they could hire me for the lowest salary range, yet I had more court and trial experience than anyone at my level (and probably more than a lot of others). In addition, I found out that my supervisor at the USAO gave the DA a "glowing recommendation" for me, which I'm sure also put the icing on my offer.

I'm thrilled, excited, and just ready to start working. Can not wait!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! You earned this! Now enjoy and get to work. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home