The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

A Seinfeld-esque Problem

If you're a Seinfeld fan, you probably remember the episode with the close talker, and the other one with the lady who insisted on giving the "kiss hello". I'm in a situation somewhere in between the two. I know someone (female) who insists on giving hello and goodbye hugs. Now, I'm not really the "huggy" type. I normally have no problem indulging those who are, but I usually don't hug just for my own benefit.

Anyway, if this woman was just hugging, it wouldn't be an issue. But, it isn't a normal hug, which would be something where the person would let go of you about a split second after their arm had gone around you to complete the hug. No, this hug lasts. You know how fast most hugs are? Well, her hugs are probably about 5 seconds long, but because it is abnormal, it feels like she is holding you captive for about an hour. And then, as if that wasn't bad enough, she squeezes you, TIGHT. That is just freaky. I'm not her relative, or her girlfriend. I just know her through someone else. She has no reason to miss me or in any other way have a need to hold me.

I post all of this in a lighthearted, Seinfeld kind of way, but really, this bugs the crap out of me. I don't want to offend her, or the person I know her through by saying anything. Nor do I want to sound petty by bringing it up. (And blogging etiquette allows me to post any and all gripes I have without sounding petty. See Etiquette of Blogging 24(f).) But really, I feel like everytime I see her I'm going to have to be carrying something or somehow make myself "unhuggable". I chuckle because it reminds me of Jerry hiding behind his refrigerator door to avoid Wendy, the hello kisser.

I did try this strategy earlier this week, and it did seem to work. She didn't hug me, but others (not blocking the hug by carrying something) did get the hug. Is it possible she got the message, or am I going to have to prepare for a "block" every time I see her?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home