The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Nothing quite like being a proud parent

Last night my daughter's school had their academic award night. It was nearly 3 hours long, so there were plenty of students who were acknowedged for their accomplishments. Before going, we knew my daughter was getting an award from the Math department, for being a summa cum laude valedictorian, and CSF lifetime member. But she got a couple more that were surprises. She was also given an award from the social science department. (Meaning, history, which is funny because she hates it so. She got a 5 on her US History AP test last year, so she is assuming that is why she got it.) She also got a small scholarship for being an excellenct science student, was one of the B of A plaque winners, and one of the AP scholars.

They did a video of all the valedictorians at the beginning of the program, showing a baby picture, their senior picture, with their name and the college they would be attending. To see her beautiful picture up there, with her name, and "Massachusetts Institute of Technology" beneath it made it just a little too real. I'm so incredibly proud of her, yet, I can't believe she is really going so far away. On her own. Without me......

Anyway, the top tier of valedictorians, the summa cum laude group, those with a GPA of 4.32 (meaning straight As all through high school and taking the max number of AP classes), had 12 members. It also made me incredibly proud that 4 of those 12 were my daughter and her 3 best friends. How awesome that they have been able to become friends, and strive with each other for excellence. What an incredible group of girls she is friends with! I'm proud of all of them, and that she has them for friends.

It was nice that for the valedictorians, when they gave them their certificates/CSF pins/summa cum laude plaques, they also reiterated their colleges, and also told their majors and intended careers. It was fun to see the wide variety of interests represented there. There was one boy who was going to Univ. of Penn., which is ranked 4th in the country, but not many going out of state at all. A lot going to UC schools, and of course to Fresno State and City. Certainly my daughter going to MIT (ranked #7) was one of the big accomplishments for the senior class. It seemed like people were very impressed by her going there, and double majoring in math and physics. I know I'm impressed by her! What amazes me more, is I know that for her, this is only the beginning. There is no telling what she is going to end up doing.

I'm a proud mom. Can you tell????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home